Sunday, April 16, 2017

Further Reading for the Interested



Refugee transitional assistance. Though the current political situation seems to portend a slowing of new refugees, West Michigan currently has a large number of recent arrivals that may benefit from programs providing them the opportunity to grow food, share culture and better assimilate in their new home.  http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/11/9/9202/htm


Deliberation. The process of deliberating over important decisions seems to have vanished in the past 15 years.  I’ve found great resources for my work in Lean Process Improvement facilitation and many other endeavors here at the Kettering Foundation.  This site has a multitude of resources and some good reads. https://www.kettering.org


Collaboration.  Because kids learn by doing, and because they are tuned into computers more than any generation to date, reaching them via sandbox games opens a huge gateway into learning concepts they can then apply immediately on the ground in nature.  Math, language, and teamwork become natural extension of a good time. http://services.minecraftedu.com/wiki/Teaching_with_MinecraftEdu


Art as a life process in nature.  This is not a new concept, but seems to be out of use in communities where nature is the most accessible.  The Green Museum seems inspiring to me at least.  http://www.greenmuseum.org/generic_content.php?ct_id=134


Land Laboratories. I was lucky my high school had a land lab that I spent a huge amount of time on in all seasons.  I believe it was integral to igniting my passion and ultimately in my choosing my career path in natural resources.  While locally we have a couple centers that function as field trip destinations, the area lacks any place for students to lock onto for long-term study in natural processes.   Two outstanding resources (one big, one small) serve as idea generators.  They are:




If you have anything you’d like to send my way, please do.  I am always interested in learning about something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment